Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saturday Morning Cartoons - again!

As I said last week, Saturday Morning Cartoon-time (yes...I think that SHOULD be capitalized!) Was once a special time.  That's been lost.

Don't get me wrong, if there were cartoons available to me 24/7 back in my day via cable, home video, internet et al, I would have been in hog heaven.  But looking back, it was nice that it was this isolated little thing.

Now by the time I happened along (I was born in 1963, so my formative Saturday morning years were late 60's/early-mid 70's) they (television producers/network executives) had learned (Hi, Filmation!..How's the crapfest going?!?) to do cartoons for TV on the extreme cheap.  Not the late 50's/early 60's cheap where they learned to creatively cut corners in a way that added an aesthetic of it's own, but to plain old "F" it up! 

But we still had some Looney Tunes sneak through.  And some Woody Woodpecker and his pals.

My generation learned of great theatrical cartoons from the golden age through TV, just as so many of us only know films from the golden age of Hollywood.

A weird mix of things that all ended up in Technicolor glory on that little box in my living room.  And even before in black and white. 

And in YOUR living room, too.


Talk to you soon.

No comments:

Search This Blog