Thursday, June 17, 2010

Nemo number 3: Winsor McCay on EVERYTHING and Gluyas Williams

The concluding articles from "Nemo: the Classic Comics Library" issue 3 from October 1983.

First some unearthed opinions by the comic strip and animation pioneer Winsor McCay...







...and the continuing feature on "Penmen of the Past" this time spotlighting the wonderful black and white line art of Gluyas Williams. All hail those forgotten pen-men! Some wonderful stuff was learned by me from these back-of-the-issue articles.








Finally a quick sneak peek at the upcoming issue #4.


Glorious stuff all and always in-depth and intelligently presented. I miss "Nemo".

3 comments:

Gabriel said...

Gluyas Williams was SOOOOO great!
Thanks for posting all this stuff, Jeff!
You're doing your homework, indeed.

Runs.with.Ferals said...

Windsor McCay knew all about economy of line, and how to simplify an illustration so that it 'reads' better on the printed page. I hope someday I can apply just a portion of his skills to my comic art. Keep these great posts coming Jeff~! More more more~!

Unca Jeffy said...

Gabriel: That's one thing I loved about this magazine. It would talk in depth about heroes I already had like McCay and in the same issue it would unveil names I was unfamiliar with until then. Solidifying my already 20 year appreciation for this medium and proving it would continue to unfold new delights for me 26 years later. And it has.

Lysdexicuss: McCay was a pure and natural craftsman and artist. Things that seem so effortless to him are layered with true artistry.

Search This Blog