Tuesday, June 16, 2009

They call it "Stormy" Monday...but Tuesday's just as bad


Work is pretty crappy these days. The economy in the tank means tensions are high and spirits are low. It seems I work more hours, put up with more sh*t from clients going through the same tensions I am and am compensated and appreciated less.

"Quit yer bellyachin'" Jeff...at least you've got a place to go everyday and (for now) a regular paycheck. There's lots of folks who don't. It could be worse. On to today's "Uncle Jeffy's Almanac"

Today would have been the 119th birthday of Stan Laurel. Here was a guy who worked more hours than I could even count, probably put up with sh*t that I can't even imagine (how would I know) and was not compensated anywhere near equal to what he gave the world. He died modestly, living in a small house in Santa Monica. Bad business decisions had not left him much in the way of investments and Hal Roach owned the rights to the Laurel & Hardy "characters/characterizations".

But was he appreciated?

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh yes, and still is.

The work he and Oliver Hardy produced is still looked on today as nothing short of genius. He wins. What he did was worth doing.
Stan Laurel once said, and I paraphrase, "If any of you dare cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again."

I'll see you all tomorrow.

Go watch a Laurel and Hardy short.

You'll be glad you invested the time.

It's worth doing.

No comments:

Search This Blog